Business Director, SA
Why are savvy CPA professionals moving into the private education sector?
Diversity Role, Caring Culture, Rewarding Outcomes, Attractive Benefits, and Work/Life Balance!
This newly created position is an excellent opportunity for a Business Director to join the Senior Executive Team of a very well-accomplished College over 2 campuses. This pivotal leadership role offers diversity, rewarding outcomes, attractive benefits, exciting commercial business challenges, and a great work/life balance.
This leading co-ed Christian College with 130 staff and over 800 students, cultivates an inspiring, caring, and equipping culture. The team’s commitment to facilitate dynamic, innovative, and inquisitive learning environments from ELC, Junior to Middle Years Programs, and added student opportunities with career pathways support for Senior School, have produced outstanding SACE academic results. It is this heart of excellence and innovation that now has opened this new role for an exceptional Business Director to join the Senior Management Team.
The College staff are committed to each individual learning experience where students can develop personal inner core values, discover skills and talents, and grow to their full potential. In this relational, community-focused, and nurturing atmosphere, students, families, staff, and volunteers are proud to be a part of the school and the local community.
As a key leader, the appointee naturally has a desire to support the Principal and collaborate with senior management to continue forging strong relationships across all levels, connecting the College to the local community, in support of the vision. This person of integrity has an enabling attitude to empower others, innovative by nature, entrepreneurial in strategies, a master communicator, planner and implementor, capable problem-solver, good negotiator, and respected manager.
The Business Director has proven leadership and management skills in business/financial operations; strategic in long-term planning; and competent in navigating through complex business environments.
The role provides management oversight of 40 non-teaching personnel. Mentoring and developing Line-Managers in support services to align to the culture, ethos, ethics, and values of the College to support the learning programs. Service areas include Finance/Business Administration, Project Management, Human Resources, Marketing, Customer Relations, ICT, Grounds & Property Maintenance, Student Services Support, and Contracted Services (Canteen, Bus Transports, and Uniform). The functionality of some services will overflow to all staff within the College. The ability to mentor, train and develop effective leaders to think innovatively, plan, manage staff, time, and resources, to reach targeted objectives and outcomes, and provide personal ‘hands-on’ support in day-to-day activities, are vital.
The foresight to engage, support key stakeholders and partnerships to increase financial commitment, funding, business opportunities, student opportunities, and community support. Foster strong relationships with suppliers, local community, local businesses, sponsors, families of students, volunteers, Local Council, State and Federal Government.
Reporting to the Principal, these are some key aspects of the role:
- Demonstrable ability to assist the Principal to impart strategic leadership, vision building, cultural growth, 10-year business plan implementation, and achieve key outcomes of the College, in support of the learning programs.
- Support the College Board and Senior Management in their financial/business decisions, ensuring monthly business/financial reports, interpretation, budget preparation, analysis reports, and documentation are prepared for the Board meetings.
- Management oversight of 40 non-teaching personnel, mentoring, and development of Line-Managers and support staff in Support Services departments, streamline operations, improve business performances, and train staff for continuous improvements.
- Manage specific HR functions in induction, training, and development, performance reviews, succession planning, employee relations, workforce planning, industrial relations, recruiting, and terminations. Delegate specific functions to departmental Line-Managers.
- Mentor and support the Finance Manager in the Finance department on performance and continuous improvements. Ensure the College’s financial and business systems are streamlined, robust, compliant, and systemic to facilitate future growth.
- Provide insightful analysis from data analytics to uncover valuable insights of financials, identify process improvements that can increase efficiency, and better manage risks.
- Conduct predictive analytics to use existing data to identify trends and more accurate planning, forecast, and future planning.
- Set up, monitor, and report key business metrics on the College’s performance and operational health.
- Preparation and oversight of the budget using proven budgeting techniques.
- Maintain robust financial procedures and framework controls in the annual audit process and subsequent reporting.
- Manage Projects, contractors, costs, and resources to meet deadlines.
- Identify risks areas and implement effective risks management strategies.
- Increase profitability through benchmarking, best practices, effective cost reduction measures, and improvement opportunities.
- Ensure all preparation of financial, grants funding, and administrative returns are submitted in a timely manner. Keep abreast of funding opportunities, and emerging trends.
- Interpret and apply industrial awards and enterprise agreements in conjunction with the Principal.
- Negotiate contractual agreements with contracted services.
- Train staff on security and social media policies.
- Maintain a safe workplace with adherence to the WHS policies and procedures standards.
- Attend collaboration meetings with other Business/Finance professionals with associated schools and other occasional after-hours meetings or functions.
The Business Director can also liaise with other Business/Finance professionals within the associated schools at Head Office. Head Office also has a Business Director and Business Analyst for additional support.
CA/CPA qualification with MBA or Business Management qualification and proven outcomes in senior operations management within complex business environments in the commercial, education, or not-for-profit sectors are encouraged to apply. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, and competency in ICT knowledge and systems are also essential.
This 5-year contract tenure is further extendable, thereafter. Also, 4% of the cash salary component is available for professional learning development. An attractive remuneration package is on offer with 6 weeks annual leave. As part of their large national network, all accrued benefits are transferable to other jobs within the national network.
The impressive College is in a beautiful location, an hour by car from the Adelaide CBD, and easy access via the M2 Expressway, connecting south to the northeast of SA.
Confidential enquiries can be directed to Theresa 0413 609 102